September is a splendid month not least for the bountiful Suffolk produce available. While the Aldeburgh Food Festival celebrates this phenomenon annually (www.aldeburghfoodanddrink.co.uk) at the Crown and Castle you can enjoy wonderful local produce all year round.
Within Orford itself you can plunder Pinney’s (smoked fish and oysters) and Brinkley’s Fish Shed (fresh fish), as well as Pump Street Bakery (superb artisanal bread and chocolate). Just outside the village is High House Farm (soft fruits, loganberry jam and apple juice) and near Snape you will find Friday Street Farm Shop (vegetables, meat and much more). If you don’t mind a small drive then we recommend Maple Farm in Kelsale (excellent organic vegetables and superb eggs); EW Revett in Wickham Market (the best sausages) and Adnam’s Cellar Store in Woodbridge (or Southwold). And, if you’re travelling via Ipswich then the Suffolk Food Hall at Wherstead makes a worthwhile stop-off for all sorts of comestibles.
Available until 2nd October excluding Friday and Saturday nights our Mellow Fruitfulness offer comprises:
- 2 nights comfortable accommodation
- a 2-course a la carte dinner (with free choice) on both evenings*
- full English breakfast each morning (no buffet – all freshly cooked)
- to take home: two pots of home-made potted shrimps, a large bottle of High House Farm’s Discovery apple juice and a voucher for a splendid Pump Street Bakery sourdough loaf – or if it’s Monday or Tuesday when the bakery is closed, a frozen loaf.)
Rates per room occupied by 2 people for 2 nights, as above
Good House £380
Better House £460
Best Garden** & Best Courtyard £499
Best House & Terrace £540
* If you would like a third course it is charged at a flat £7.50 per person. **Dogs are welcome in certain specified Best Garden rooms at £6.00 per dog per night. This offer is not available online or by the booking button so please call us on 01394 450205 to book your stay.